My Five Students

My Five Students

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Cakeway to the West: Celebrating St. Louis' 250 years

This year St. Louis, Missouri turns 250 years old. To celebrate the city will be placing 250 fiberglass cakes around the city and surrounding areas. It's called Cakeway to the West and it's described as "one part public art exhibit, one part scavenger hunt, and one part history lesson." As a homeschooling mom that spoke to me. It just screamed school project. So I sat down and made a list, then I made another list, then I made a map. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Anyways, I thought I would share my lists and maps with you. I have tried to include something of value to each hunt but some of them may only end up being for fun. I do have my children navigate though. It's a fun, real-life way to learn about maps. They also take the pictures, except for when all 5 of them are in the shot. I will be working on more as we get out for more cakewalks. Keep in mind that not all of the cakes have been installed yet. So far, roughly 200 are on display. I will update my posts if more get added to an area I have already posted.
An easy first cake hunt is the city of Clayton. You can check 5 cakes off of your list. If you want to walk it it's just under 3 miles round trip. We drove that day because it was cold and windy and I have two 3 year olds. You can work in some history with the Historic Hanley House. It is only open on the weekends and there is a small fee but there is a plaque outside that tells you all about the family and their contribution to the city of Clayton. We ended our tour at Shaw Park for some play time. Here is the list:

1. Brown Shoe Company, 8300 Maryland Ave.
















2. Historic Hanley House, 7600 Westmoreland




















3. Centene Corporation, 7700 Forsyth
Did I mention it was windy?


4. St. Louis County Courthouse, 7900 Carondelet
(We missed this one. It is not on the official list but is already out. I will update when we get it.)


5. Shaw Park, 231 South Brentwood




















Here is the map of the walk I planned:
Clayton Cake Map

Go ahead and get started. I promise you will have fun.

2 comments:

  1. This is so much fun! I think we are going to try and go to U-City this weekend for my birthday and for a fun "family of 3" outing before the baby gets here. I've counted 7 cakes on Delmar that I thought we could check off and then we're going to eat at Fitz's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't even seen one yet, it's been so crazy busy for us. We have to get started!

    ReplyDelete